PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tomato Puree -the easy way!

So when a very nice man gave me 200 lbs of tomatoes for free I knew that I wouldn't be able to use them all to make things before they went bad so I decided to puree up a bunch to use in recipes later. 

Here is the easy way to puree tomatoes and get all the good out of them.

First, core and cut any bad spots out of your tomatoes.
Second, simply halve or quarter them and stick them in a food processor or blender.
Now you whir that thing until they are all soupy pureed.

And you're done!  You can put in jars(I fill quart jars 2/3 full) and freeze or can these.  Then when I need to make spaghetti sauce or ketchup or salsa I just take out a jar, thaw it, and I'm ready to go!

Yes I do keep the seeds and skin on my tomatoes.  These are good for you.  If it's not organic or grown without pesticides you probably won't want to keep the skins on though.

big bowl full of tomato puree

showing jars if you're going to can, less full if freezing

you can see the seeds, but the skin is all whirred in with the good stuff





shared on Whole Foods Wednesdays.
Pin It Now!

1 comment: