PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Crockpot Ketchup- Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free

not only does it look good, it tasted and smelled so good!


Homemade CrockPot Ketchup
-----yield(for me) was 12 quarts

1- 6 quart crockpot filled to 1 inch below the top with pureed tomatoes
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup honey
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Place all ingredients in a crockpot and slowly stir.  Turn crock on to low and let simmer covered for at least 24 hours.  I let my batch the other day simmer for almost 48 to get it the right thickness.  It will be a bit runnier than you're used to.  That's ok.  It will thicken some in the refrigerator.

Once you decide your ketchup is done to your liking you can either can or freeze it.  I choose to fill my quart jars 2/3 full and freeze.  Note:  make sure not to fill them totally full or you will have burst jars in your freezer and a big mess.  If you fill your jars full to can, this made 12 quarts, with my 2/3 full rule.

This recipe was adapted from Simply Sugar and Gluten Free's recipe that you can find HERE.  I just adapted it to fit what I had on hand and to fit the need for much larger version!



Shared on Whole Foods WednesdaysSomethings in the Oven Recipe Linky.   Homestead Blog Hop #75 Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I have never made homemade ketchup, but I am going to pin this recipe so that maybe if I have enough tomatoes this year I can try it.

    I have a question about the yield. How can a 6-quart slowcooker yield more than 6 quarts of ketchup? I understand that you leave more headspace in the jar because you freeze rather than can. But I am confused by the 20. Did you mean pints because that makes more sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made ketchup several times with carrots before my daughter started challenging her tomato allergy. She is one of those that like a little something with her ketchup, so this might just be the fix. Anywhere to save a little extra always helps. I'm pinning this so that next year when my tomatoes come in, I can give this a try ☺ Thanks for sharing with us in our linky. My apologies for not getting over here sooner. My garden had other plans for me this week LOL.

    ReplyDelete