PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Sinful Chocolate Espresso Cookies -Gluten and Processed Sugar Free

Okay, so I must start by saying that I did not invent this recipe.  A fellow blogger over at Ramblings of  a Caffeinated Army Wife did.  And I think I am forever in her debt now!  You can find her original recipe here on her blog or on her pinterest board Cookies.  I did not change the main  recipe, just tweaked it to fit into our dietary restrictions.

The original recipe you can find on her blog, so I'm just going to share my take on her recipe here.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix all dry ingredients below in a bowl and set aside:

1 cup fresh ground brown rice flour
1 cup teff flour
1 cup tapioca flour
2 Tb fresh ground espresso powder(I used generous heaping ones)
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
1 cup demerara(it's a raw sugar)

This is my flour mixure of brown rice, teff, and tapioca

all dry ingredients added together


Now in a separate bowl:

1 cup butter(real butter or use coconut oil)
mix up to thick whipped consistency

add 2 large eggs one at a time beating well.

In a double boiler melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips ( I of course used dark chocolate)

Slowly add and mix this into the egg/butter making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. 

Add 2 tsp vanilla

Next I added 1 cup raw local honey.  Mix up well.

Last wet ingredient is 2-4 tsp strong brewed coffee.   I used the 4.

Slowly start mixing small amounts of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients.  It will be a thick mixture(though mine is not as thick as the original).  Once this is fully mixed add in 1/2 cup chocolate(I used the Enjoy Life chocolate chunks here) as well as 1 cup dark chocolate covered espresso beans.

Finished dough

If you don't have any chocolate covered beans you can bake your espresso beans and then dip them in a chocolate ganache and let that dry out to use.  This is what I did.  But as our wonderful blogger friend advised me best to bake them before dipping!

Now spoon out on the cookie sheet into small to medium blobs and bake for 8-10 minutes.

ready to go in the oven

Remove from oven, let cool on sheet for a few minutes then transfer to baking rack.

fresh out of the oven

I had 4 cooling racks full, probably would have had 5 if I hadn't eaten part of the dough and some cookies hot off the pans

Disclosure:  The raw dough is addicting.  The cookies are addicting.  I may have to go run about 10 miles to work this off!  Enjoy!

The gooey yummy inside goodness. 
Must resist and not go eat another one. . .
okay well that's not working so enjoy the recipe I'm off to eat another cookie!


Shared on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays. Allergy Free Wednesdays. Gluten Free Wednesdays. Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays. Gluten Free Fridays.   Somethings in the Oven Recipe Linky Pin It Now!

14 comments:

  1. Oh my I don't bake much but those look yummy. Can I come over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, that looks DELICIOUS! I am a chocolate & coffee lover too, so this is a perfect combo! I'm definitely going to try it out sometime! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THat looks so good I just had to pin it. THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look good!! I'll have to pass the recipe along to my MIL, she has Celiac and she's always looking for gluten free cookies!

    Sofia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look good! I bet they didn't last long :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son saw the picture as I am looking at your post and is in love! He's so hungry for cookies :) My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-friday-recipe-link-up-1/
    Thanks, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by our Gluten Free Fridays link up http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-friday-recipe-link-up-1/
      I have pinned your recipe to our Gluten Free Fridays (recipes) board on Pinterest! Thanks again for making it a huge success! We had over 100 gluten free recipes this week :) Hope to see you next week! I also tweeted your recipe!
      Cindy

      Delete
  8. I am going to have to try your GF version! I am so glad you got them to come out using gluten free items I wasnt sure how the original recipe would work but they look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cookies look so good! Since I have to eat GF I love that you made a GF version. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look so delicious! I am going to have the make them some time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! I need to write this recipe down :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am drooling over these cookies. This is the perfect pick-me-up snack. I'll take some right now with almond milk :)

    ReplyDelete