PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Homemade Baked Beans-from scratch

Baked beans from a can are expensive.  My family loves baked beans so I knew I had to come up with a way to make my own baked beans that was cheaper.  This is what I've come up with.

Buy a bag of dry pinto beans.  Soak them overnight in a pan of water.  Remove any beans that float.  Drain the water off the beans.  Put fresh water with the beans and cook until the beans are tender.  Drain off the water.  Place beans in large bowl.  Add bacon pieces, one chopped onion, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 4 oz of tomato sauce and one bottle of barbecue sauce.  Mix all together well.  Place in baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.  Enjoy!

We love these and they are much cheaper than buying off the shelf.  Depending on the size of bag of dried beans you may need more or less of the tomato sauce.  I like to use more barbecue sauce than tomato sauce because we like the flavor better.  I just use the original flavor barbecue sauce since I add the brown sugar and bacon to my beans.

The beans as part of our lunch today.


Shared with Allergy Free Wednesdays, Delicious Dish Tuesdays
Pin It Now!

13 comments:

  1. I love making my own baked beans too! I am working on a cowboy casserole post that uses baked bean, hamburger served over some cornbread! A fun kid dinner, Thanks for sharing with us again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! I was just thinking about making my own baked beans and here I found you :) This one is going on them menu for our next BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd LOVE to try to make my own! Thanks for sharing how!
    Thanks also for linking up to Delicious Dish Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. My husband love baked beans but I hate the price of them at the store. I will be making a large batch of these the next time I buy pinto beans. Have you ever tried to freeze leftovers? How do they freeze?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baked beans, but being a vegetarian its hard to find them in a can and that still taste good. Awesome idea with barbque sauce instead of tomato

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chelsea SaulpaughJuly 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM

    Baked beans always remind me of camping. lol Although this recipe is a bit too complex to cook over a fire. I may try it at home though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent! Did you know July is National Baked Bean Month?
    Hopefully it will cool off enough to actually turn on the oven and make this! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! I have a neighborhood bbq to go to this weekend and had no idea what I was going to make. I love baked beans and haven't made them from scratch before - but I found my dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea that is was this esay to make baked beans! Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I much prefer homemade baked beans instead of any canned ones without a doubt. They are great for cookout. My cousin make the best beans around ! They are so expensive to buy at market too. I think the brown sugar makes them yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mainer's version: Use Yellow Eye beans, 1/2 cup molasses, 1 diced onion, 1 or two smoked ham hock and 1 heaping teaspoon dry mustard, soak beans overnight, then cook as you would the pinto beans. For ultimate flavor experience, you MUST have fresh baked bread with this,biscuits would be fine also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been trying to find a good baked bean recipe. Will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete