PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Deer Roast with Potatoes and Carrots--meal 1

I love to cook up a big ol' roast.  You can easily get three meals out of a roast.  Here is how.

First:  Find a large roast.  I used a deer roast that was approximately 10 pounds.

Second:  Get some potatoes. I used a 5 lb bag of potatoes, yukon gold.  I cut off any bad spots and eyes
                but left the skin on the potatoes.

Third:  Get some carrots. I normally use whole carrots and just cut off the tops and tails, but I didn't
             have any of those in the house so I used a 2 pound bag of baby carrots. 

Now, since I use such a big roast and so many veggies, my roasts won't fit in a crock pot anymore.  I love to do roasts in the crock pot, but not when I'm planning many meals from one.  So I have a big roaster pan that goes in my oven.  I place the roast in the center and spread the carrots and potatoes around it.  Now here's the secret for deer.  Get some italian salad dressing/marinade and pour a bunch of it on that deer roast.  If I buy from the store I get the largest bottle and use it all!  I also have a really good recipe for a homemade italian that I will post later.  Cover the pan and place in the oven.

I put my roast in the oven at 7 in the morning and took it out at 1pm to eat lunch.  A roast this size needs a goodly amount of time to cook.  If it's not done you can take the veggies out and cut the roast up some to get it to finish cooking a bit faster.  I did not remember to take pictures of the raw food or even the food in the pan but I did get pictures of it out on my table looking delicious!
The deer roast!
Yummy potatoes!
And the carrots!

The italian went really well with the vegetables as well.  I loved the taste of it.  Kids all loved it so will definitely be using it again.  I sometimes use a wine marinade on my lamb to help with the taste if it's an old sheep. . . thinking this might work for buck deer as well, may have to try that sometime too.  Enjoy!

Meal #2
Pin It Now!

12 comments:

  1. i have actually never had deer before.. i have always wanted to try it out but never new how to cook it( if there was a special way to cook it or not) now im really curious as to how it tastes i really wanna try it even more now cause it looks soo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks sooooo good! I have never tried deer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! My husband is a big hunter so we always have lots of deer meat and I only know a few ways to prepare it so I appreciate the the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the italian dressing tip. Deer is so gamey, but I hope this will help. I'll try it out if we get a deer this hunting season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I think I will make that this weekend! We still have one roast left. Looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to try this
    dagmara.hawkins@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks absolutely amazing! Going to try this very very soon! Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family would this,-thanks for sharing recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so good, thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got some deer in my freezer so this is gonna taste great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing, I've crave deer roast in the winter!!

    ReplyDelete