PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Apple Butter in the crockpot

I love apple butter, but hating taking a lot of time to make it.  So I converted my grandmum's apple butter recipe into a crockpot recipe.

First, get a bunch of apples(I used around 10 pounds), peel and core them.  Then chop them up into small pieces.  Place them in the crock pot until it is full.  I then always add 2 cups of apple cider(really helps the flavor) and my spice blend of nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, small dash of ginger, allspice, and cardamon.  Stir these into the apple pieces and put the lid on.
Forgive the horrible picture.

I let this cook down until the apples are all mush. . . then I cook it some more.  I cook mine until it is a really dark amber color and almost all the moisture(juice) is gone.  Then it is ready to put in jars or eat!  Very simple very easy and very  yummy!  Picture of the apple butter in jars coming tomorrow! Pin It Now!

22 comments:

  1. I think I could do this. :) Do you add spices to taste or do you measure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful, thanks for the recipe! I've got lots of apples, so I know what I'm making tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I was coming to your house on Thanksgiving! I bet dinner rocks there! My mom used to make apple butter and it was so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be making some of this...I love Apple Butter. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a good idea and it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I knew how to can stuff! this looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had apple butter for a long time, good reminder to try some again

    contactlillea at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this sounds so good! And easy! My mom used to love apple butter. I have to try this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmmmm yummy, I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, sounds like the hardest part of the entire process is peeling and coring the apples. That's right up my alley, and boy does it sound good. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to eat apple butter all the time as I grew up, but haven't had any for years. Thanks for the reminder as apples are in full supply at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, never thought I could make it this easily! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom used to make this and it was so yummy on toast! I love finding crockpot recipes like this! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. I had no idea that apple butter was so easy to make. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy! I thought there was more to making apple butter, now I've got no excuses, I've gotta make it! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never would have thought to try apple butter in the crockpot! I've used my German Grandma's recipe which involves hours over a hot stove and that so seldom sounds like fun...I'll make this with my stepdaughter this weekend, then she can take a jar home, thanks for the GREAT idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds so easy. My husband likes apple butter. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete