PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Gluten Free Banana Bread

I love banana bread.  My kids love banana bread.  Really everyone in my house likes banana bread(yeap this includes the dogs and cat).  So when I make banana bread I make a BIG batch.  This recipe makes 8 loaves of banana bread at a time.  To help out those that don't need to make that many loaves at once; though they do freeze well, I will also do a single recipe.


As you can see a generous slathering of butter is very yummy.
So though is peanut butter or cream cheese.
Peanut butter is my kids favorite on their banana bread.


Here is the single recipe.  Can be done gluten free or regular flour.

Ingredients:
2-1/2 cups all purpose gluten free(or regular) flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp guar gum(if doing gluten free)
1 cup sugar(I always sub in honey)
1/4 cup butter or coconut oil
1 egg, beaten
1 cup mashed bananas
2 Tb grated orange or lemon peel
1/2 cup milk(rice or coconut or almond work well here)
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts(can omit)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 5 by 3 loaf pan
Sift flour with baking powder, guar gum(if doing gluten free), and salt.
In medium bowl mix sugar, butter and egg until smooth.
Add in the bananas, orange peel and milk.  Mix well.
Add flour mixture and mix until smooth.
Stir in nuts if using(we never do the nuts- husband doesn't like them)
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
Bake about one hour or until done.
Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to cool on wire rack.
Cool completely.  You can then freeze by wrapping twice and placing into a ziplock.

The instructions for making this in a large batch are the same.  The ingredients do change though.  Here would be your ingredient list.

20 cups flour(I use 10 cups brown rice, 5 cups amaranth, and 5 cups either sorghum or millet)--if
      you are not used to amaranth you might want to use something else as it is a heavy flour and
      does have a distinct taste.
8 Tb baking powder
2 Tb guar gum
4 tsp salt
6 cups honey
2 cups butter or coconut oil
8 eggs
8 cups bananas
10 Tb orange or lemon peel
4 cups milk(coconut, almond, rice)
8 cups chopped pecans or walnuts(optional)

As you can see I do not just multiply the recipe by 8.  I have experimented with the recipe and find this to be the best flavor combination for multiplying.  I recently made this recipe and within 2 days we had eaten 2 loaves of bread.  I freeze 6 loaves and leave out 2.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!

Linked up at: Allergy Free Wednesdays,    Gluten Free Fridays Pin It Now!

15 comments:

  1. I am drooling over here! I also LOVE banana bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is making me very hungry, my downfall are pastries! Im now following via GFC, and have pinned your recipe to Pinterest. Have a great day! Karren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinned! Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bananas! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) See you next Friday! Next Friday one lucky blogger will be randomly selected to win a case of Planet Rice! Its yummy! Its gluten free, sprouted and grown in the US. You can link up to 3 entries! The more you link up the better you chances to win! (entries from US only) Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oohh,... it is so that time of year that fresh-baked bread for breakfast sounds wonderful. Can't wait to try your Gluten free version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks SO delicious!! I'd love to try it sometime. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH my gracious this sound so deliciouse will try it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic. I love banana bread, but haven't had it for ages. One of my best friends has recently found that she needs to stop eating gluten due to her fibromyalgia. I will have to make this for her! Thanks for sharing :)

    chevsop(@)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids and I love banana bread and I love to try out different recipes. This one sounds fantastic, I'll definitely have to try it! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We LOVE banana bread in our house and this is the time of the year I make it the most! I am going to have to try this recipe instead of mine :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds delicious, and I love that it can be gluten free! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally book marked this. I always have 'brown' bananas that would be perfect for this. YUMMY!!

    myfreebi3s at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love banana bread and this looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love me some banana bread..... to bad I don't have a bread pan because I have all the ingredients to do this :( PLH

    ReplyDelete