PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Lamoni, IA Civil War Reenactment, Labor Day Weekend 2012

Let me start by saying, yes I do take pictures of the battles, but my primary focus is on my kiddos because they are just so darn cute!  And this was over Labor Day weekend, 2012, I'm late getting it posted.  I'm late getting  a lot posted but catching up this week!  I'm on overdrive and it's great, so make sure you're checking daily as I'm posting several things each day.

Lamoni, IA is a quaint little town that hosts a Civil War event every year over Labor Day.  We've gone for 5 years now and love it.  If you're in the area and interested in history at all you should definitely go.  There is also a high Amish population, with vendors at the event for those treats you can't live without.

Now onto the pictures!!

Cutie pie Fionna.

Colin running, his pants were a bit big. . . 

so serious

Bridgett posing

My crew around the wagon.

Loving the action.

They all loved catching grasshoppers all weekend long.

Audry wasn't so thrilled about the grasshopper on her.

Zyera would get that close to them, but wouldn't touch them.
It was hilarious!

Daddy riding by on his horse.

I don't always wave at strange men. . . . only when I happen to know those strange men.

She was so excited to see Daddy!

Daddy and his Arabian Kit running past.

Fionna playing peek a boo under my hoop skirt.

Loved the flags blowing in the breeze.

Patrick on the wheel.

They are all such little monkeys, and related to Curious George I think.

I am so in love with this picture!!

Our whole group of guys.

The end of battle.
All of these images were taken by me.  Please do not use them without asking for my permission.  Thank you. Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. What a cool idea. I never thought of kids participating in a reinactment. And, yes, your kids are cute! I have 5 kids so I can totally relate to wanting to take a photo of each of them. My facebook friends were hit with 40+ pictures of our Thanksgiving we spent with another family we know who also has 5 little ones, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reenacting since age 7 and my kiddos have done it their whole lives! It is a great family thing to do together.

      Delete
  2. I love all the photos! It's great for kids to do different things and have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We took my family to a civil war reinactment last summer and has a blast (litteraly). I was loud and seemed so calm and different from the wars you see on tv. We talked to the actors and learned about the different teams and costumes. It was cool and we all enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi what a wonderful way to spaend time with your family and educate the kids at the same time. Only they will learn more your family actually seeing and being part of it each year. I wish i could have done something like that when my children were young. So enjoy it while you can. Thanks for the lovely story and real cute pictures of your family. joannies

    ReplyDelete
  5. UM. I TOTALLY used to do Civil War reenactments! I LOVED them! I had a kick-butt dress, too - complete with a bone corsette and huuuuge hoopskirt. You are awesome. Love the pics!

    Emily
    http://faithmusicandbedtimestories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reenacting and have been doing it since I was 7(over 20 years now). I love that my children have grown up reenacting. And yes the corset and hoops are great!

      Delete
  6. This is such a GREAT educational experience for the kids! I am sure some parents were educated too. I am a big history buff and wish more people knew their history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we need to get the history out to more people. Start with the young ones and get them interested for life!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing those pictures! I LOVE reenacting and we have an event on Labor Day as well! We didn't go this year but it's a lovely event next to the Pacific Ocean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen the Pacific Ocean or the Atlantic. I have seen the Gulf of Mexico though! If you're ever in the midwest we have some great events!

      Delete