Monday, February 13, 2012
Gluten Free/Dairy Free Broccoli Cheese Soup
Here is what you will need:
3 bunches broccoli, cup up(Note here I use the WHOLE thing, stems leaves and all)
2 Tb olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion diced
16 ounces sour cream or dairy free equivalent-go here for a great dairy free sour cream recipe.
18 ounces plain yoghurt( you can use regular or dairy free)
8-12 ounces of cream cheese-go here for a great dairy free recipe
1/2 gallon almond milk(you can use regular milk if you can have it)
1 pound cheese(I used sharp cheddar-raw unpastuerized and undyed goat cheese) you are welcome to use whatever brand, flavor you like--shredded
optional add ins:
1. cut up the broccoli into bite sized pieces
2. saute the garlic and onion in the olive oil
3. add the cream cheese to the onion mixture and stir constantly until melted
4. place the onion, cream cheese mixture into a stock pot and pour in the almond milk, yoghurt, and sour cream
5. using a whisk mix this all up really well
6. turn the pot on to to a medium heat and add the broccoli to the broth
7. cook until the broccoli is tender
8. add the cheese and stir until melted
Place in bowls and serve! We like to add bacon bits to our soup right before serving and then eat with croutons. The croutons soak up the yummy broth and add a few spices to the mix. Here are the gluten and dairy free croutons I have found that we like.
This recipe is also super easy to fix and put in the crockpot and forget about until time to eat. I really like it. Kids were so so. Some liked it but a few didn't, so I'll be freezing the leftovers in small portions so that I can eat it when the kids are having a more kid friendly meal in our future.
Pin It Now!