PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, December 17, 2012

Super Easy Gluten Free Latkes

My family uses a lot of potatoes.  They are one of the cheaper diet staples that we can buy and create meals out of.  One of the dishes that we love to eat year round but especially around Hanukkah time are Latkes.

Latkes are a  traditional Jewish potato cake.  While not Jewish, my husbands family celebrates Hanukkah and we have added that tradition to our family.  We also still celebrate Christmas.  I wanted to make these the simplest that I possibly could considering the amount of time it takes me to peel and grate up enough potatoes for latkes for my whole family.

Here is what I came up with!

Peel and grate up potatoes.  How many will depend on how many people you are feeding.  A good rule of thumb that I use is to peel and grate 2 potatoes per person.  I normally end up peeling and grating around two dozen(24 potatoes).

At this point I turn on my electric  griddle and lightly spray with olive oil.

Once you have the potatoes peeled and grated into a bowl you will add eggs.  I add one egg for every three potatoes.  The egg helps to keep the potatoes together when you fry them up.  In total I normally add 8 eggs to my big bowl of grated potatoes.

Add salt and pepper to season.

Yummy potato mixture with eggs, salt, and pepper.


Stir it all up together really well.

Add potato mixture to the griddle to allow to fry.  I use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to do this so that I can get more than one or two onto the griddle.  You will want to flatten out the mixture on the griddle or you'll have a potato mound instead of  a latke.

Cook until the top side looks a lighter yellow(this probably sounds weird so lets just say around 5 minutes on each side).  Flip and allow the other side to cook up.  Serve warm.  My kids and husband love these topped with ketchup or cheese.  I prefer sour cream and salsa on mine.  You can add whatever toppings you like or eat plain as well.

Golden brown and looking so good!


These are a hit in our house and I hope they are in yours as well!  You can add flour to help absorb some of the potato juice and eggs, but we don't.  I just make sure to get a small amount of that "juice" with each latke on the griddle.  If you want to use flour, just make sure it is a gluten free flour.  You can use a blend or even just a single flour, but make sure it is one that will absorb.

Shared on Make Your Own Mondays, Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment