PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, December 17, 2012

Gluten Free Mississippi Mud Cake

This cake is a fond memory of my childhood.  I can remember birthdays and eating this scrumptious cake.  There is nothing healthy about this cake though so I waited until Christmas time to convert it to gluten free and share it with my children!  This is the first time they've ever had it!

Ingredients you will need:
1/2 c. butter(or coconut oil)
1 c. sugar---I used demerara because I don't buy white sugar ever anymore
1 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs
3/4 c. gluten free flour----I used Bob's Red Mill all purpose gluten free blend
1 tsp guar gum or xantham gum
1/3 c. cocoa--be careful to get gluten free
1/2 tsp baking powder
dash salt
1 c. chopped pecans---optional, I did not use these as my husband doesn't like nuts
1 package miniature marshmallows or about 1/4 of a bag of large marshmallows
1 bowl frosting----recipe HERE


Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease or lightly spray with olive oil a 13 by 9 by 2 glass baking dish---I'm not sure why but glass does so much better with this cake.
In a large mixing bowl cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla, until light and fluffy.  With demerara you never really achieve fluffy, but still mix VERY well.
Add eggs, one  at a time mixing well after each addition.

not fluffy but well aerated!

Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, guar gum, and salt; add to mixture.
Stir in nuts if you are using them.
Place in pan, spread to make it even.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the top is barely soft to touch.
Prepare frosting.  Recipe HERE.
Remove cake from oven.

Fresh from the oven.

Cover top with marshmallows.

Looking oh so good, but oh so bad for us.

Place back in oven and bake 2-3 minutes to allow the marshmallows to "melt".

See how big and puffy they get?!

Spread the marshmallows over the cake.

Oohy gooey goodness.

Immediately spread frosting over cake.

Tada!  So good!

I then put it in the fridge to set the icing.  Remove for at least half an hour before serving.

Super yummy, very rich, and not good for you at all but hope you enjoy!

Shared on:  Modest Mondays Link Up,  Barn Hop Holiday Edition, Titus Tuesdays,  Domestically Divine Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Meatless Mondays, Raising Mighty Arrows, Made from Scratch Mondays, Gluten Free Monday,  Allergy Free Wednesdays,  Wheat Free Wednesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Homemaking Linkup



Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't had Mississippi Mud cake since I left New Orleans 17 years ago. I thought when I was diagnosed with Celiac that I would never have it again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! My mom used to make Mississippi Mud cakes all the time when we were little! I had forgotten all about it until now. I am craving it big time. I never dreamed there would be a gluten free version. I will definitely be making this soon! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Chocolate lover's heaven right here! I believe I have all the ingredients listed and can't wait to give this recipe a try :) Thanks for sharing in 'Made From Scratch' Monday!

    ReplyDelete