PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Gluten Free Applesauce Raisin Cookies

You may be able to tell by now, but I love to bake!  I found some raisins in my store room that were a bit old and knew I needed to use them up.  So I decided to make some raisin cookies!  I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that we all like(though they're  a bit dry), so I decided to alter it a bit and come up with an Applesauce Raisin cookie that would be more moist than the chocolate chip one.

Here is what I came up with.

You'll need:
1/3 cup oil(I used coconut, but you can use any kind)
1/2 cup sugar(I used demerara sugar)
1-1/2 cups brown rice flour
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce(you can use different flavors as well or even pear sauce)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp xantham gum(I used guar gum)
1/4 tsp vanilla(I use homemade vanilla)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup raisins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease a cookie sheet(or two).

In a medium bowl mix up the oil and sugar.

the oil and demerara

Add the flour and beat well.  Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

adding in the flour

Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

mix mix mix

Continue beating until the dough comes together.  It will be soft.
Drop by rounded tsp's of the dough on the cookie sheet.
With moistened fingers press them down to flatten them a bit(they will not flatten on their own when baking).
Bake for around 10 minutes, or until the edges brown.
Let cool before serving.

cookies ready for the oven

Shared on:  Make your Own Mondays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Gluten Free Fridays,

Pin It Now!

16 comments:

  1. OMGoodness I LOVE Applesauce Raisin cookies. I will be giving this recipe a try for my family/friends who are must have a gluten free diet.

    myfreebi3s at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is demarera? I use palm sugar for cookies, will it be same texture and flavor? Raisin is gread intead of chocochips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made gluten free anything... Is it Hard? Do they taste as good as Cookies made with wheat flour? Just really curious. I may just have to try making some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures' Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

    Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a GREAT combo! I will have to try these little goodies! YUM! Got this tweeted and pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Raisin cookies and it sounds great to add apple sauce to it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom would love these cookies, they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound good! Do you think that honey would work in place of the sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes honey should work just fine. I'd add less than and add as you want to sweeten.

      Delete
  9. That sounds really good. I wonder if I could sub something for the egg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a regular egg sub try it out. We have chickens and are fond of eggs around here. Thankfully no one is allergic to those!

      Delete
  10. I never thought of using applesauce in cookies before. We use it all the time in baking breads to cut the oil down; but this sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recipe. I have been looking for more gluten free recipes. I'm also allergic to eggs :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, I've never used applesauce in cookies before. THese sound delish, and I love that they're gluten-free! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't used applesauce in cookies either, so this should be a good place to start and try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to try these. I've been playing around with almond flour, and haven't tackled anything else yet.

    ReplyDelete