PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Asparagus Casserole


Doesn't that look yummy?  Trust me it was very yummy.  I converted an old family recipe into something a little more friendly for my family.  Original recipe comes first with what I did in quotes.

Asparagus Casserole:

2 cans asparagus, drained(I used 2 pounds fresh asparagus.  I boiled them for about 5 minutes, drained them and then used them)
1 can peas, drained(I used 1 pound frozen sweet peas)
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained(I didn't have these on hand so I left them out)
1 can mushroom soup(I made one batch of this recipe but only used half the chicken broth)
velveeta cheese( I used about 1/2 pound of cojack cheese thinly sliced and laid on top)
1 cup crushed Ritz crackers(I used one small bag of plain rice chex cereal, crushed)
1 stick oleo, melted(I used one stick butter, but would say that it was a bit oily so maybe only use 1/2 stick next time)

Layer the ingredients as written into a 9 by 13 casserole dish.  Pour melted oleo over top. ( you will note that I put the cereal down, then the cheese, I placed the butter ontop of the cereal but under the cheese)   Bake 35-40 minutes in 350 degree oven or until lightly browned.

We loved this recipe and I hope you do too!



Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. i love asparagus and have never seen it casserole form, how creative! thank you for sharing on AFW again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love asparagus, but don't generally veer from our usual way of eating it. I'd love to try this and change it up a bit! Thanks so much for sharing and linking to Delicious Dish Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete