PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Sugar Cookies

I have an old recipe that I love to use for fall cookies that is called an Orange Sugar Cookie.  I took this recipe and converted it to make a very yummy Valentine's Sugar cookie. 

Go here for the original recipe.

Here is what I did changes will be in italics and noted.

4 cups flour(all purpose or a gluten free blend)-if gluten free make sure to add 1 tsp xantham or guar
            gum-I used Bob's Red Mill all purpose gluten free blend for these as I was in a bit of a rush
2 tsp baking powder-I wanted to make sure these rose so I used 3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tb orange rind-omitted
1 cup butter
1-3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup concentrated frozen orange juice(thawed)-omitted

As you can see I omitted the orange juice and orange rind.  Instead I used 1/2 cup beets(cooked and pureed) to get the red coloring I wanted.  I also added 1/4 cup of warm water to give it the liquid it would need.

Sift together flour, b. powder, and salt.

Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs.

Stir in beets and water.

Add flour mixture and chill 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
Dough will be soft.
On floured surface roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut(I prefer a thicker cookie of about 1/2 to 3/4 inch) with choice of cookie cutter.

Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.  You can eat like this or decorate.  I made some powdered sugar icing to use on mine.

And now enjoy the yummy cookies with some icing!

Linking up with Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday. Try a New Recipe Tuesday, Domestically Divine Tuesdays, Teach me Tuesdays, Menu Monday, Titus 2sdays, Wellness Wednesday, Wise Woman Linkup, Wednesday Linkup, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Homemaking linkup, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Real Food Wednesdays, Wisdom Wednesdays, Gluten Free Fridays, Proverbs 31 Thursdays Linkup, Thrifty Thursdays, Friday Food Frenzy, Weighing In



Pin It Now!

23 comments:

  1. I love how you used beets to color these! Did you use them in similar amounts to the orange? Could you taste them? Were they canned beets? I've never tried this technique, so I am curious! Thanks for sharing with us on Allergy Free Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used 1/2 cup of the beets and 1/2 cup of water, where I normally use 1/4 cup of orange juice concentrate. Liquid stayed the same but added the beets. They were fresh beets that I cooked up and pureed. I really just wondered what would happen and tried it and was glad it turned out so well! I don't like food colorings and have been trying to come up with natural food colorings. You can see my post on making the beet puree here. http://www.forhimandmyfamily.blogspot.com/2012/02/beets-for-food-coloring.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these cookies. The icing around the edges tops it off! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sugar cookies :) Fab recipe, gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you use beet! That's amazing and so much better than using food coloring. Probably better for you too. Bookmarking this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I'm going to need this in a couple weeks! cookies look great especially the icing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe, I am in fact planning to bake Valentine's Day cookies for my boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. never would of thought about using beets to make sugar cookies, what a great idea ;) Thanks for sharing @tisonlyme143

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a sugar cookie fan but these are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really cute cookies! I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the photos... they really do look good. I think I might have a go at those!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing, and super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. THese are so very cute! I totally need to give them a try at V-Day. Thanks for linking up with Wellness Wednesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Valentine's day is my favorite. Looks like a delicious recipe. Will have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those look so good. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these - they are so pretty. Thanks for linking up to Friday Food Frenzy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute cookies! Davey and I may be making these next week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect for Valentines Day! Got this pinned and tweeted! Thanks for linking up at Gluten Free Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so pretty I love how the look with the white icing around them. Thanks for sharing them at the Zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. it looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete