Art is a HUGE part of homeschooling for us. With 9 kids ages 8 and under we tend to do a lot of crafts to help us understand concepts. That being said I've compiled a list of the 5 most important things to make sure you have on hand at all times in your homeschool when homeschooling with little ones.
1) Construction Paper This is the number one used product in our school. We use it for lapbooks, journals, pictures, etc. We use these to make cards for birthdays, posters for our refrigerator, and as pieces to make our giant art work or mosaics. Overall we use construction paper daily. At least 8 pieces a day times 5 days a week for 36 weeks. . . . you get the idea. We use a ton of this stuff!!
2) Crayons or Colored Pencils My kids love both so I normally have both on hand here. We buy these in the big gigantic packages because with 8 kids using them we tend to break or use all of them quickly. That and they always seem to disappear and then reappear in the weirdest places. . . .
3) Scissors , now those are the regular scissors, but if you have someone struggling to use them we recommend these Scissors . They were suggested for one of mine with fine motor delay and they are a miracle working scissor! Again we buy in bulk to have scissors for everyone. If you are just starting out schooling I recommend the fine motor scissors first and then when your child is ready progress to the "normal" school scissors. They really do help your child to learn the proper way of using scissors. I believe(not positive) that they are also recommended by several curriculums.
4) Glue Sticks I know some people are raising their eyebrows at me here. Yes we use glue sticks. Yes they are more expensive than buying the bottles of glue, but there is less mess and less waste for us to use glue sticks so cheaper for me in the long run. Plus even my littlest preschoolers can handle using the sticks on their own where they would need help with the paste.
5) Washable Markers, Fingerpaints, or Edible Finger Paint Okay this is where you can make a choice. I normally have markers on hand, but they are kept way up high and only used with supervision. Why you may ask?! Well because I have learned the hard way that kids LOVE markers and don't really care what they color on with their markers as long as they are coloring! This is why I also specified washable markers.
Now we also like fingerpaints. If you are just using with older kids that know they shouldn't put their fingers in their mouths then buy all means get the cheaper regular fingerpaints, but if you have little kids who might put their fingers in their mouths for a taste, get the organic all natural edible ones. Please. It is so important to keep as many chemicals out of our babies mouths as we can!
BONUS: Make sure you have some good cleaning products! I use natural products mostly. Some great cleaning power can be had just simply from dish soap and water!
I know this doesn't tell you much about crafting, but it does show you several products we love. I did include links to Amazon which are affiliate links. This means I will get a small commission if you use these links to purchase products. I do use these products and brands though so wanted to share them with you. These are all Prime eligible products and some are add ons which means you only get the great low price if you are buying $25 worth of product.
Keep your eyes peeled as I'm working on a post about the curriculum we're using this year as well as the last 2 days of our journey through the 5 Days of Homeschooling with Multiple Littles!
You can view my other days by the links below and make sure to check up on what the other blogs are doing by using the button below.