PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, September 1, 2012

DIY Seat Covers for your Van Vehicle

I decided to rearrange the carseats in my van today.  I also decided it needed a good clean out.  So I unstrapped and took all the carseats out of the van and realized that it was really dirty under them.  Small bits of food seemed to have gotten between the seats and the carseats.  It was interesting getting some of those off.  So I thought I should come up with a seat protector of sorts. 

Now if you've been reading around here long you know that I have 8 children and we live on one income so I can't afford to go buy seat covers for my big 15 passenger van.  So, I came up with anothe idea.  I recently got several fitted twin sheets at a thrift store for very cheap(think about a nickel a piece) and decided I could spare some to use for seat covers.

Here is what I did.  I took the sheets out to the van and hooked the fitted corners around the corners of the seats.  I stretched them out to where I was going to want them and marked where the buckles and middle seatbelts would need to come through.  I then made slits for those to see how much room they would need.  Next I took the sheets off, went inside and used my serger to defray the edges of the cuts.  I then rolled them under and sewed them to reinforce them.  When that was done it was back out to the van to get it all settled in!  Pictures below show the finished product!


first seat

last three seats

close up of bringing throught the buckles

with all 8 carseats inside!
 
And tada all done!  I thought this was really simple to do and will help to protect my van seats as we will be using this van for a very long time I have a feeling!  Hope you've enjoyed my little post. If so feel free to pin and share away!
Pin It Now!

22 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea, and I am sure it's a lot more cost effective than buying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats so cool! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really neat idea and great way to save money. You must be one busy mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a GREAT idea! My kids have stained up so many seats it's not funny! Wish I would have thought about this when they were little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mind is still stuck in the "All 8 Careseats" part! Wow! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a great idea! Would never have thought of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never would have thought to cover them with something so easy to wash. Must come in handy with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great way to use old sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smart way of saving van seats with old sheets. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cool!! I really need to do that to my van!!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Idea. I would like to try this for my car.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW - are those car seats all yours??? I bet you're happy to get those covers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. With Dogs and kids there is always a need for seat covers!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So I realize this post is several years old.. but THANK YOU!! We just bought a 15 passenger and I've been trying to figure out seat covers. I can go to the thrift store and get twin sheets. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete