PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Come Explore with Us!!

Daddy is gone to a reenactment this weekend and today was my Azure Coop day so we spent a good chunk of the day grocery shopping and picking up our coop order.  That meant a long van ride to the "city" and a long van ride back plus the shopping.  Needless to say my kids don't find that especially thrilling so I thought I'd find something fun for us to do!

We went for a nature walk that ended in us having a cook out over an open fire!  Kids loved it!  We used it as a science lesson as well.  We talked about the different plants and trees we saw.  I taught them how to recognize poison ivy.  Walnuts were found and we discussed what they can be used for.  The kids learned first hand about the dyes that they make!

I must say the biggest success of the evening was the looks of awe on their faces when I started the fire with only small twigs and one match.  To watch their faces while the fire grew made me realize all over again what a joy children are and what a  precious gift from God.  I love my babies.  I love watching them learn and grow.  Somedays we just have to stop and smell the roses. . . or walnuts as it might be!

Here are some pictures of our evening.  Hope you enjoy looking at these as much as we enjoyed our evening!

And we're off.  Bridgett carried the backpack.
Fionna got to ride in the carrier on my back and Audry volunteered to hold Zyera's hand!

Loved the sun shining through the trees.

Gathering wood to start the fire.

I just love the green of the grass and her hat!

My one match, no paper fire!

Is it just me or does he look a bit ornery here?
Showing off our butterfly!

I had to share this one of Lucas too.
Oh and that is our dog Stonewall in the background.
He always goes hiking with  us. 

The pile of walnuts.


More walnuts for the pile, and yes in his shirt. . . .

Love Bridgett's face!
Fionna was putting a walnut on the pile and knocked it all over!

The outhouse Daddy built for us when we moved here so we'd have a potty where we go for cookouts.

What a gorgeous first day of autumn view!



Pin It Now!

17 comments:

  1. Such a glorious day to spend with the children, and a learning tool as well. I can tell you, speaking from experience, that shelling walnut can be a messy job. I do hope that they wore plastic gloves when doing so, or suffer the consequences of stained hands for a few weeks. LOL. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a big pile of walnuts from the walnut tree on the side of our house. Silly us left them outside to dry out and some squirels helped themselves to it. Looks like you had a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you and your family had a blast! I think I would also be in awe to see someone start a fire with two twigs and one match--that is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you all had such a fun time! Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're all getting so big! Looks like an awesome night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures and very cute bunch of kids :) PLH

    ReplyDelete
  7. precious kids!! what a cute little family :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are a hero in my eyes im sure you dont get praised as well you should be

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful post! It looks like you had such a beautiful time with your family. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. waoow... spent relax time with family is the best! great picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such an amazing mom! How special for the kids! I seriously need to plan my own nature walk - that would be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the walnut pictures, especially the one in his shirt! What a great idea for a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like everyone had a wonderful time learning and exploring the outdoors.Walnut in the shirt , oh my - stains here I come.And on the hands they leave yucky stains to. A friend of mine just use to lay them on the grass and run over them with the car. A mess tho LOL Their are so many things out there that people see every day but dont actually SEE.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds like a lesson we all need to learn, stop and smell the roses & enjoy the beauty around us

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love stuff like this! Looks like you all had a great time and learned something too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great learning trip as well as a lot of fun for your kids. Nice day trip mom.

    ReplyDelete