PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, November 15, 2013

DIY Cupcake Flowers! #goodcookkitchenexprt

Have you ever had an idea pop in your head and then wonder how to do it?  Well I had that experience recently when Good Cook challenged their bloggers to come up with unique recipes showcasing some of their Sweet Creations line.

My goodie package!  Love!
My package contained regular cupcake liners, mini cupcake liners, cake pop sticks, and a cookie scoop.  Rather a unique combination in and of itself.  Now my challenge was what to do with it!  I didn't just want cupcakes but obviously was going to have to have cupcakes.  And then it hit me!

My kids were making flowers out of construction paper one day in school for art and whallah BAM straight in my forehead. . .wait no that was the paper airplane. . . but I did get this idea to make flowers using cupcakes!

My first attempt I used tons of icing and decorating and they looked pretty but I decided to wait until morning for pictures because I wanted nice lighting(trying to learn to take better pictures), well I'm sorry to say those were ruined.  Did you know that heat melts icing?  Yeah I didn't think about that.

So attempt number 2 involved my kids!  I made regular cupcakes and mini cupcakes and then gave them the cake pop sticks snapped in half and said lets make flowers!

Make sure to check out my gift guide to see how to win this awesome cupcake carrier too!

So the base cupcake became the dirt or soil or flowerpot with the mini cupcakes up on sticks becoming the flowers!!  No icing was used because I'd already cleaned up one huge icing mess for the day so we put some dark chocolate allergen free chps and peanut butter chips on the mini cupcakes to make them a bit more "flowery".  Those do contain dairy so if you want these totally dairy free you need to find dairy free chips.

Step 1: preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2: make the regular size cupcakes
Step 3: make the mini cupcakes
Step 4: make flowers!

Chocolate Cupcakes(for the flower pot part):
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder(makes sure it's dairy and gluten free)
1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 large eggs(I used one large egg, 2 pullet eggs, and a duck egg)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup local raw honey

Mix all your dry ingredients together in one bowl.  Mix all the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.  Pour the wet ingredients  into the dry ingredients and mix well.





Put the cute regular sized cupcake liners in the cupcake pan and place two cookie scoops of batter into each one(yeap gotta use that nice new cookie scoop).



Bake for 20 minutes and place on wire rack to cool.

Vanilla Cupcakes(for the flower part):
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 tsp Celtic Sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 large eggs(I used 1 duck egg and 2 pullet eggs)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
optional:
1/4 cup dark chocolate allergen friendly chips
1/4 cup peanut butter chips

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Mix all the wet ingredients together in another bowl.  Pour the wet into the dry and mix well.

Place the mini baking cups into the mini cupcake pan.  Place one cookie scoop of batter into each liner.


Add some peanut butter and chocolate chips to the top of each.



Bake for 18 minutes or until done in the center.

Place on wire rack to cool



Now comes the fun part!  Take one large cupcake and three mini cupcakes as well as three half cake pop sticks.  You will need to put a small slit on the cupcake liner of the mini cupcake in order to get the cake pop stick through.  Now put the cakepop stick into the mini cupcake careful not to push too hard and put it through the top of the mini cupcake.  Place the other end down in the "dirt" of your regular cupcake.  Do this again with the other two mini cupcakes.

Tada!  You now have a pretty flower bouquet to enjoy!  Or eat.  . . .eating is good too!








Pin It Now!

12 comments:

  1. Cute idea! (And I love your explanation of the eggs you used.) LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We have lots of pullets laying(and 2 even setting) so I like to let you know you can use different types and still get the same results. . . . and duck eggs are huge!

      Delete
  2. This is a very cute idea! Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these! Adorable and not too difficult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And even more adorable to watch the kids make them. Especially Fionna in her new cute glasses!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks we thought so. Next time going to put icing on them.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I know. . . . . but then I eat too many because they're so cute and they're small so you can eat more. . . :)

      Delete
  6. Those are so cute! My kids would have a blast helping with these!

    ReplyDelete